Credits    Navigation      philipdick.com     Novels    Short Stories     References

TheHoodMaker1.gif (5603 bytes)
aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes) aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes) aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes) aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes) aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes)

Number

Writing Date

Pub. Date

Previous

Next

Notes

42

<Jan 26, 1953

Jun 1955

Breakfast At Twilight

Human Is

"Immunity"
5400 wds

FIRST PUBLICATION

HISTORY:

    "The Hood Maker" arrived at the SMLA on Jan 26, 1953 – the same day as "Of Withered Apples." The story was originally titled "Immunity" and was published in Imagination in the Jun 1955 issue. After that it didn’t reappear until THE COLLECTED STORIES in 1987.

    Again with this story, PKD presents us with something new: telepaths. As might be expected from PKD’s rather sour outlook at this time his telepaths are not a boon to mankind, even though they might think so! Sallow and callous youths; the offspring of the survivors of a nuclear bomb in Madagascar, think they’ll take over the world. After all, they’re more advanced than the rest of us: genetic mutants, the next stage in evolution, homo superior. And they don’t like the metallic ‘hoods’ that thwart their mind-reading abilities so a power struggle results in which the teeps powers are ultimately used against them. An engaging and thought-provoking story.

    "The Hood Maker" rates ô ô ô ô ô


 Other Magazine and Anthology appearances

1987   THE COLLECTED STORIES OF PHILIP K. DICK      
       

NOTES:

 


Collector’s Notes

Ken Lopez: "The Hood Maker" in Imagination, Jun 1955 (1st). NF. Signed by the author and also by Frank M. Robinson who is featured in the "Introducing the Author" section. $135


Credits    Navigation      philipdick.com     Novels    Short Stories     References